A single ShapeArray (SAA) can be connected to Measurand’s SAAUSB adapter. The SAAUSB adapter appears as a serial port when it is connected to the PC running SAARecorder.
Note: Older versions of SAAUSB are not recommended for long-term data collection, as they apply power constantly to the ShapeArray. Any upsets to the system, such as a momentary interruption of the application of communication could lead to lock-up of one or more of the microprocessors in the ShapeArray. Without periodic cycling of power applied to the ShapeArray (such as when using SAA232 or SAA232-5 or a recent SAAUSB (model SAAUSB-003 or higher)), collection could eventually cease.
- The SAAUSB adapter is for interior use only. It is not waterproof.
- Measurand's SAAUSB adapter allows you to interface to a single ShapeArray; it appears as a RS-232 serial port on the PC.
- The SAAUSB is supplied with a +12 volt power supply that plugs directly into the SAAUSB.
- The USB plug end of the SAAUSB should be plugged into the PC before plugging in the ShapeArray and before finally plugging in the +12 volt power supply.
Step 1 - Connect the ShapeArray to the PC, SAAUSB, and Power
The following steps should be taken in order, when using the SAAUSB with a ShapeArray:
- Plug the USB plug into an available USB port on the PC where SAARecorder is installed
- Mate the data cable from the ShapeArray to the round Amphenol connector of the SAAUSB
- Apply power to the ShapeArray by plugging in the +12 VDC power supply into the power injector socket on the SAAUSB
Figure 1: An SAAUSB adapter - (A) Amphenol connector, (B) USB connection, (C) +12 V DC power connector
Step 2 - Start SAARecorder
Open SAARecorder and click the Connect SAA button.
Figure 2: The SAARecorder Startup window
In the Connect window, select the COM port you are using in the Serial Port(s) section. In the Connection to SAA section, select the SAAUSB option.
Figure 3: The SAARecorder Connect window
To go to the data collection portion of SAARecorder, click the Start with found SAAs button. Otherwise, click Next and follow the steps listed below.
Step 3 - Optional, Click on the Search Tab
Figure 4: The Search tab in the SAARecorder Connect window
- Models 1 and 2: An octet (group of 8 segments)
- Model 3 and later: A segment (every segment has a microprocessor)
Step 4 - Optional, Click on the Devices Tab
Figure 5: The Devices tab in the SAARecorder Connect window
Figure 6: The Enter Device Serial Number dialog
Step 5 - Optional, Click on the Test Tab
Figure 7: The Test tab in the SAARecorder Connect window